All Nippon Airways (ANA) and Boeing made aviation history today as a 787 Dreamliner flew for the first time powered in part by sustainable biofuels.
“The 787 is the most environmentally progressive jetliner flying today, combining fuel efficiency and comfort with reduced carbon emissions,” said Billy Glover, Commercial Airplanes Vice President of Environment and Aviation Policy.
The delivery flight between Boeing’s Delivery Center in Everett, Washington and Tokyo Haneda Airport is also the first ever transpacific biofuel flight.
First sustainable biofuel flight showcases Dreamliner’s environmental performance
“Our historic flight using sustainable biofuels across the Pacific Ocean
highlights how innovative technology can be used to support our industry’s goal of carbon-neutral growth beyond 2020,” said Osamu Shinobe, ANA Senior Executive Vice President.
ANA delivery flight also marks first ever transpacific flight using biofuel
The 787 flew with biofuel made mainly from used cooking oil and emitted an estimated 30 percent less CO2 emissions when compared to today’s similarly-sized airplanes. Of the reduction in greenhouse gasses, about 10 percent can be attributed to the use of biofuel and approximately 20 percent to the technology and efficiency advancements offered by the Dreamliner.
ANA and Boeing celebrate first 787 Dreamliner biofuel flight
Made primarily from composite materials, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner is the first mid-size airplane capable of flying long-range routes and will allow airlines to open new, non-stop routes preferred by the traveling public.
Boeing is at the forefront of the global effort to develop sustainable aviation biofuels, as part of the industry’s strategy for lowering its carbon emissions.
- Thailand Strengthens Bilatetal MICE Industry Ties With Germany - 19 , May , 2015
- Can you hack a plane and take control? - 18 , May , 2015
- Lufthansa Premium Economy refit to be finished by Autumn - 13 , May , 2015
- IAGOS project: Second Lufthansa Airbus A330-300 gets climate research lab - 7 , May , 2015
- Airbus E-Fan electric plane project takes off with new factory in Pau - 1 , May , 2015
- Qatar Airways begin daily B787 flights from Doha to Edinburgh from 1st May - 30 , April , 2015
- Air New Zealand to use 787-9 Dreamliner for Fiji flights from November - 21 , April , 2015
- ANA launch Star Wars Jet with R2-D2 livery on B787-9 - 20 , April , 2015
- Air New Zealand to begin direct flights to Houston - 16 , April , 2015
- China Airlines moves its regional cargo hub to Dubai World Central - 16 , April , 2015